My Shoes Are In Mumbai

Monday, June 12, 2006

Other Photos

Some of the other photos ...

Hilariously, this is me going for a hike with a hangover and looking happy about it. Happy in the same way that when you're so uncomfortable all you can do is laugh. Tee hee hee ! Gopp made me a bamboo walking stick because I was lagging behind so much.











The Art Of War says "Know The Enemy" ... I think I got to know ours quite well. Note the cheeky expressions ... listen lads, I know that that you'd prefer to muck around and talk to your mates than pay attention in class because, well, having fun is a lot better than not having fun. I also know that you think you won't get caught ... I know this because I was wearing the same expression twenty years ago, and I can safely say that Not Getting Caught is a skill and an artform (not one I ever perfected either). Frequently when teaching, the phrase "herding cats" leapt to mind.



And if you think using allusions to warfare is a bit steep, chew on this : on the last day, the kids had somehow procured projectile weaponry (made of bamboo of course). I am very glad that we left before an arms race could develop. Still, they were good enough to let me have a go, and with the patronizing hubris displayed by so many adults towards the young, I thought I'd show them how it's done ... and cocked it up, naturally.






Our guides at the home stay (l-r) : Gopp, So La, Su Pat, Oh










Bamboo is used for everything - Su Pat grabbed a small shoot as he wasn't carrying anything else at the time












Our co-workers on the hills



























Break time on the hills













Karen girl holding a recently shed python skin


















Two Ndong Por (The Old Man) - a bit of a dude all round.


















The posh new kitchen


















One of the many hounds that prowled the village. This one was our favourite - he had a face not unlike the bear in Gentle Ben. Here he is lazing around under the solar panels.
















Before the shower got installed at the new house, this was where we took our baths and washed our clothes. Very refreshing ! Though we had to share it with ...











... the water buffalo. Dan allayed my concerns after seeing one of them take a dump in the river upstream from us. "If one's done it, a thousand have !" - dunno how this makes it better, but strangely it did.









Sunset in the village



















Mystery Fruit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home